Saturday, March 7, 2009

Bookselling and Community

While amazon.com is famously cheap in its prices, it's also become infamously cheap to the community it lives in. The tacit silence over amazon's stinginess was first broken in a 2007 complaint on a Publishers Weekly blog by a rival Seattle bricks-and-mortar bookseller. When Paul Constant, books editor at the Seattle alt-weekly The Stranger, followed up on the post last year, he hit a stone wall: "[amazon.com] has refused to return repeated e-mails and calls from The Stranger about the company's seemingly nonexistent contributions to the Seattle arts scene," he wrote at the time. "Internet searches for any sign of philanthropy on behalf of the company prove fruitless."

Read Paul Collins' complete report at http://www.slate.com/id/2213037/.

2 comments:

William Paul Young said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

ariadna said...

hi, how are you please let me congratulate you beacause your excellent blog, I'd love to have it on my education relative site , I'm sure it would be of great interest to my visitors!. If you can, please contact me to ariadna143@gmail.com

regards
Ariadna