Monday, March 5, 2007

Think You Know Food?

Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation (ISBN 9780061161391) took America to task for slowly killing itself via a monocultural diet of convenience (and fat). Now, Barry Glassner, author of The Culture of Fear, issues a clarion call for us to abandon food fads and to give up a "fear-based admiration for celebrity chefs" and other so-called experts in his latest, The Gospel of Food: Everything You Think You Know About Food is Wrong.

I know I've adapted my own eating habits since coming to New Albany. My beef consumption is down, but my fast food consumption is down about 95%. When I eat out, I make sure it's at a locally-owned establishment that tries to buy its foodstuffs locally. I patronize the downtown Farmers Market, and I try to eat only enough to satisfy my hunger.

Just out this month from HarperCollins' Ecco imprint, it's $25.95 (ISBN 9780060501211).



Listen to this posting

powered by ODEO

or download TheGospelOfFood.mp3

1 comment:

The New Albanian said...

Is he the same one with the NY Time mag piece about "nutritionism?"